Thursday, September 18, 2008

My First Time...Blogging!

It took me a little while to get the hang of this, but I think we're off and running now! So far I have been devouring fairy tales like they're going out of style. But I have found, through my eclectic reading habits, that most novels and short stories I have read are founded on a myth or fairy tale. For example, read Kurt Vonnegut's Slapstick or Lonely No More and try NOT to think about Hansel and Gretel. Or try Galapagos and DON'T refer to Adam and Eve's temptation and fall. It's impossible to do so and whether Vonnegut intended to allude to myths and fairy tales is unknown, but it makes for some interesting close readings of his many influential novels.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ok if I am correct, your displacement fairy tale is the obituary of the the first black man to win the Heisman Trophy. And I was just watching the television and there is now a move coming about about him. I thought it was interesting because you had just read your story in class, and today is the first time I have seen the trailer for the movie. Just thought it was weird.
Lisa