Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Original (and still the best) Little Mermaid


Growing up, the only version of "The Little Mermaid" that I knew was Hans Christian Andersen's. I was given this exact book when I was eight, and it was one of my very favorites. The illustrations by Katie Treherne mesmerized me, and I saw myself as the curious, brave and virtuous mermaid. I always cried when she dies, but I loved her transformation into sea foam after receiving her immortal soul. If you are interested in seeing "The Little Mermaid" performed as a ballet on stage, watch the movie "Hans Christian Andersen." The performance, though shortened in the movie, is spectacular and could inspire a movie based on his ballet alone. If you have children, especially little girls, this is one of the best gifts you could give them. I still have mine, almost twenty years and ten moves later!

No comments: